How to get rid of painful cracked lips?

Discussion forum primarily to discuss topics of common interest, case discussions, seeking advice on Mouth, Jaw and Throat related pains.
Joel

How to get rid of painful cracked lips?

Postby Joel » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:00 am

How to get rid of painful cracked lips which looks dry and unattractive. Let me know symptoms of dryness &cracking and how to get rid of the painful cracked kips fast and naturally by using any available home remedies? I hope it doesn't requires a physician's attention!!

Nero-Bianco

Re: How to get rid of painful cracked lips?

Postby Nero-Bianco » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:44 pm

You might like to try increasing your fluid intake. This could be through tea or coffee, but I would recommend water! You could also increase your fruit and vegetable intake, as these are foods that are often have a high water content. Next, I would suggest getting some kind of moisturizing lip balm and also using a product such as Vaseline, which seals in skin moisture and protects you from any harsh environmental factors, such as rain and wind.

HearMeRoar

Postby HearMeRoar » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:12 am

I know the feeling, when I had my braces, I became a mouth breather for some reason, and I had severely dry lips. When that happened, my dentist told me to use a lip balm and to NEVER lick my lips, as saliva dries it even more than it would moisturize it. After a few days of taking care of my lips, applying lip balm and not making it wet by licking it, the cracks eventually got healed completely, and I could smile without having to withdraw it back because the change in my lips made the cracks bleed.

MiForum

Postby MiForum » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:13 am

Drink lots of water and keep your lips moisturized with natural chap-sticks or oils. When I get chapped lips I usually put a coat of coconut oil, Aquaphor, or any kind of natural chap-stick I can find in my house before bed time. The next morning all the dry skin would be soft and I'd just peal/rub it off and keep applying more oils or chap-stick after. After a couple days my lips would be back to normal.

WhoseKiwi

Postby WhoseKiwi » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:04 pm

MiForum wrote:Drink lots of water and keep your lips moisturized with natural chap-sticks or oils. When I get chapped lips I usually put a coat of coconut oil, Aquaphor, or any kind of natural chap-stick I can find in my house before bed time.

I would also advise hydration, and coconut oil as the best moisturizer, or honey as an alternative option if no coconut oil is immediately available. It's very rare that chapped lips warrant a visit to the doctor on their own so I wouldn't worry about that, but I would advise making a point to find whats the underlying cause, whether it be weather, dehydration, lip licking, or so on, so you can avoid it at it's root next time.

remnant

Postby remnant » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:44 am

Cracked lips are common in dry weather especially in windy environments and could result in exposure of blood vessels. This could even result in bleeding. A simple remedy is to avoid the tendency to moisturise them using your tongue because saliva dries quite fast creating a film which worsens the problem resulting in more of the same action. Apply a layer of cooking oil on the lips from time to time. This is better compared to other oils because of the proximity to the mouth since it is gut friendly. Other interventions include quitting alcohol which dehydrates the lips and drinking plenty of water.

Aced

Postby Aced » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:58 am

I use coconut oil whenever it happens :) It works like a charm, but it doesn't work immediately. You gotta kinda keep at it for a couple of days too, but it relieves pretty quickly and everything heals up on its own nicely unless you got some funky stuff goin on

corzhens

Postby corzhens » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:37 am

When I was a girl of 10, I had this terrible flu that my fever was always lingering. I had cracked lips that were scary. My mother would always tell me to drink the orange or pineapple juice that she prepared with lots of ice. That ice helped in treating the cracked lips which healed after 2 days.

Last year, we were in Beijing, China to see the Great Wall. It was end of January and we chanced upon the snow right in the Great Wall. It was a great trip for that was the first time I have experienced real snow. However, back to the hotel in the afternoon, I noticed my cracked lips. It was red although the cracks were not that evident yet. I remembered the treatment of ice so I ordered fruit shake which I drank without a straw. That alleviated the pain of my lips although it got better on the next morning.

Veruska

Postby Veruska » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:05 am

Yet cracked lips can generally be dealt with utilizing home cures to get rid of painful cracked lips. Use a moisturizer to keep your lips from drying out further. Products containing beeswax or petroleum work to hold moisture in.

Return to “Mouth, Jaw & Throat Pain Discussion”