Constantly Clearing Throat

Discussion forum primarily to discuss topics of common interest, case discussions, seeking advice on Mouth, Jaw and Throat related pains.
Mandy

Constantly Clearing Throat

Postby Mandy » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:02 pm

It seems at different times throughout the day I feel like I am constantly having to clear my throat. This seems to get worse at bedtime. Is there any natural ways to clear out my system so I don't have to keep doing this?

Veruska

Re: Constantly Clearing Throat

Postby Veruska » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:30 pm

Throat clearing is an instinctive attempt to remove an irritant in the throat by consciously or unconsciously vibrating the muscles in your throat, especially your voice box (larynx). Throat clearing is something everyone does once in a while. It becomes a symptom of a medical problem only when it is a response to persistent irritation or discomfort in the throat.

Sensations that induce throat clearing may take the form of minor pain, an itchy feeling, or a feeling of something stuck in the throat. This discomfort may be specific to a structure within the throat, such as your tonsils or voice box (larynx), or the back of the tongue.Conditions that can cause throat clearing include a nervous tic, an infectious disease of the throat, a recent injury to the throat, or a noninfectious condition. Throat clearing, in itself, is not life threatening and may resolve on its own. However, if the discomfort that causes you to keep clearing your throat lasts more than a week or two, and if it is accompanied by other symptoms, you should contact a medical professional to identify the cause. Seek prompt medical care if you have a persistent lump at the back of your tongue or in your throat; a raised, scaly, or thickened area on the back of the tongue or in your throat; white patches on your tonsils; a persistent cough; or a persistent fever.

Veruska

Re: Constantly Clearing Throat

Postby Veruska » Sat May 12, 2018 10:26 am

Try drinking thyme and hot water. Pursue a diet/lifestyle change. Make sure that you drink a lot of water during the day, and try to avoid salt. Spicy food can be a trigger. Other causes of constant throat clearing are: Anxiety, Smoking, Dehydration, Aging, Radiation therapy, Enlarged tonsils, Enlarged adenoids, Upper respiratory tract infection, Tourette syndrome. Hope this helps.

Return to “Mouth, Jaw & Throat Pain Discussion”