Any TMJ sufferers here?

Discussion forum primarily to discuss topics of common interest, case discussions, seeking advice on Mouth, Jaw and Throat related pains.
ally79

Any TMJ sufferers here?

Postby ally79 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:23 pm

Are there any other TMJ sufferers here? If so I would love to hear your tips and tricks for relieving swelling and pain in the jaw. I have had it since I was a teenager and seem to be going through a pretty rough patch with it right now. My jaw is practically locked every morning when I get up.

deborah77

Re: Any TMJ sufferers here?

Postby deborah77 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:05 am

I have a mild case and I find that gently massaging the jaw hinge helps. I also apply a warm cloth when I feel some pain. Seems to help. :)

justastarwarsnerd

Postby justastarwarsnerd » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:32 pm

I was diagnosed with TMD a couple of years ago. My left TMJ joint is misformed, so we are trying to correct my bite with an appliance. The appliance has helped to relieve at least some of my pain. Applying warmth also helps. Another source of relief is joint cream.

Anyway, the best of luck to you!

Krnasmommy

Postby Krnasmommy » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:54 pm

I also have TMJ! I can't have anything chewy like gum or taffy due to the pain:( and every time I eat the first bite sends a large amount of pain through my jaw. I definitely going to try some of these suggestions and see if it helps!

ladydaydream

Postby ladydaydream » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:53 pm

I have TMJ as well! It's especially painful in the morning, and only tends to subside hours after I've woken. Definitely doesn't help that I grind my teeth quite a bit too. Anyway, I've often found that gently massaging in the jaw area can help soothe the pain. I spoke to my dentist a bit, and he said that there isn't much to do except maybe pop a Tylenol or Advil when the pain is particular insistent. I was a bit disappointed with the news, but it doesn't seem like there's much else to do!

The painful "pop" of your jaw after you wake up... :cry:

rldonah

Postby rldonah » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:43 am

Unfortunately, yes. It can be quite painful, and the popping - ugh! It's like I can feel the hinge of my jaw grinding together sometimes. It's very unpleasant, especially when it happens when I'm eating.

taylorkfuller

Postby taylorkfuller » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:21 am

Yes, I also suffer from a TMJ problem. It's something that runs in my family, but mine became particularly renounced after I had surgery to remove all four of my wisdom teeth about five years ago. I'm not sure if the doctor botched the procedure or if having my mouth stretched open for that long was the problem, but now I have permanent damage that I didn't have before. It was as if one day I was functional and then after my surgery recovery, nothing was the same again. I can no longer open my mouth very wide. I can't eat a burger or sandwich normally, and when I go to the dentist, they are barely able to clean my teeth. It gets particularly painful when my jaw becomes especially tight, which contributes to me having migraines more often. It is also very uncomfortable when it pops constantly.

I'm not sure what to do to correct the problem. I got a retainer to wear at night, but that doesn't seem to make a difference. I don't chew gum anymore or anything like that. Is surgery a viable option?

Return to “Mouth, Jaw & Throat Pain Discussion”