Coffee Headache

This discussion forum is for questions and support regarding Head, Nose and Facial related related
Deeishere111

Coffee Headache

Postby Deeishere111 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:52 pm

Do you ever get a headache from not drinking coffee? I normally drink coffee every day (at least 2 cups). There are times when I am on the go and don't get home until late afternoon or the evening. When that happens and I don't drink my morning coffee, I get these really bad headaches. I can drink coffee once I get home, but the pain still lingers. Sometimes I have to take some pain meds just to get rid of it. I was wondering if you get this what do you do to get rid of it.

negan

Re: Coffee Headache

Postby negan » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:17 am

It’s possible for caffeine to both cause and cure a headache? When your head hurts, you yearn for a fast relief. Whether it’s a run-of-the-mill tension headache or a migraine, caffeine can help. That’s why it’s an ingredient in a lot of popular pain relievers. Sometimes you can stop the pain in its tracks just by having caffeine alone.

Caffeine helps reduce inflammation, and that can bring relief. It also gives a boost to common headache remedies. Whether you use aspirin, ibuprofen, or acetaminophen, they work faster and better and keep the pain away for longer when combined with caffeine. Oddly enough, what makes caffeine effective in pain relief can also cause headaches, since caffeine narrows the blood vessels that surround your brain, when you stop taking it they expand again, and that can cause pain. It’s easy for your body to get so used to the effects of caffeine that when you don’t have it in your system, you will experiment a withdrawal. A headache is one of the symptoms. This may happen when you have take caffeine regularly, even as little as a cup of rough coffee a day.

Vinaya

Postby Vinaya » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:20 am

I don't think I ever have had headaches just because I did not have coffee. Usually, I drink 4-5 cups of coffee every day. Sometimes during a hectic schedule, especially when I am outdoors, I do not get time to have coffee. However, I don't get headaches. Contrarily, when I drink too much coffee, I experience headaches. Thus usually happens when I drink more than 8 cups of coffee in a day.

rz3300

Postby rz3300 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:23 pm

I seem to go back and forth when it comes to my coffee related health issues, in that I do get headaches, but I also get stomach aches, and I am pretty sure that I get those more often. Either way, though, it is usually remedied by the same cure for me, and that is good old water. It is probably just nothing and time is just healing it, but it usually provides me with relief so that is all that matters. If worst comes to worst I may use an aspirin, but that is about it.

Lisa Davis

Postby Lisa Davis » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:32 am

When people who normally drink coffee stop altogether, they normally get pain from caffeine withdrawal. I have seen this happen many times with people that drink tons of coffee at work who take extended vacations, but they never drink coffee at home. So, as a result, they get headaches after being off for a day or two. I have even seen people get shaky in the morning before their first cup of coffee because they are that addicted.

joshposh

Postby joshposh » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:46 am

You may have a dependency on Caffeine or the sugar that you are putting in there. It's like withdrawals. Your body is craving for it and use to having it daily. Once you stop the pattern your body is not use to not getting a quick fix. Could be the caffeine or sugar, or a combination of both.

I know people how are dependent on cigarettes. If they don't get a hit all the time the get monster headaches. The only way to alleviate them is to pick up another cigarette and smoke it.

pwarbi

Postby pwarbi » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:45 pm

While I think that most people will suffer an headache due to a lack of coffee because of the caffeine, it's not unheard of that people can suffer headaches because of the caffeine as well. If you've already linked your headaches with your intake of coffee, I think it's now just a case of trying to manage your intake and find out what coffee and maybe more importantly just how much coffee you should be drinking.

I used to drink a lot of coffee but found it hard to get to sleep at night, so now I limit myself to two cups a day. At first I found it hard but your body being addicted to caffeine is the same as it being addicted to any other drug, and it's just a matter of trying to cut down and gradually ween yourself off it. If you're getting headaches BECAUSE of the coffee, then maybe even stopping drinking it altogether might be worth considering?

cecejailer

Postby cecejailer » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:23 pm

It's probably because of caffeine addiction, which most people don't think is a thing, but it's actually very, very real. I know I have it. I drink at least 2 cups a day as well, and if I don't, I get really anxious and pissed off. Of course caffeine addiction isn't that worrying as coffee isn't really bad for you unless you really, really abuse it. Caffeine overdose is a thing as well, so I'd say never to drink more than 5 cups a day. I've heard somewhere that the overdose amount is about 5 grams? I don't know.

raquelxfm

Postby raquelxfm » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:09 pm

Yes, caffeine is one of the most addicting drugs there is. When you become used to having it regularly then try to go without it, its very common to feel symptoms of withdrawal, as with all drugs. Part of withdrawal is getting headaches and also feeling moody. If you go a few days without it the symptoms should begin to wear off.

Goodman

Postby Goodman » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:35 pm

Sоmе studiеs hаvе fоund thаt оvеr соnsuming саffеinе will inсrеаsе соrtisоl аnd strеss thrоughоut thе dаy. оnе study fоund thаt оnе соffее pеr dаy саn dоublе yоur risk оf withdrаwаl hеаdасhеs, but оthеrs hаvе fоund thаt соffее mаy dесrеаsе hеаdасhе risk. Yоu will find а pоsitivе study fоr еvеry nеgаtivе study оn саffеinе аnd thе rеsеаrсh is dividеd.
Smаll аmоunts оf саffеinе hаvе suссеssfully prеvеntеd rеbоund hеаdасhеs аnd this will hеlp yоu slоwly tаpеr оff саffеinе (i.е. full сup, 3/4, 1/2, 1/4, еtс...). аftеr 3 dаys, it bесоmеs muсh еаsiеr tо withdrаwаl frоm саffеinе. Yоu саn аlsо try grееn tеа tо tаpеr оff соffее.

Return to “Head, Nose & Face Pain Discussion”