My Best Trick for Tension Headaches!

This discussion forum is for questions and support regarding Head, Nose and Facial related related
Misty

My Best Trick for Tension Headaches!

Postby Misty » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:16 am

I sometimes will get really bad tension headaches and occasionally a migraine will follow. However, if I catch it early and use a little peppermint oil my headache will dissipate. Apparently there's been studies that have show a little peppermint oil is just as, if not more effective at treating headaches than tylenol. Plus, you can use as much of it as you need and don't have to worry about liver damage with it. I hope this helps someone!

corzhens

Re: My Best Trick for Tension Headaches!

Postby corzhens » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:48 pm

We have here the Vicks Vaporub which is the equivalent of the peppermint oil. I agree that external medication like that peppermint oil is much better than ingesting a pill or tablet for a simple headache (or maybe even a nagging headache). One doctor said that paracetamol and analgesic may damage our liver or kidney depending on the dosage and effect. But one other thing that helps me soothe a headache is my comfort food - chocolate cake plus soda. If you give me that set to eat, my headache will vanish like magic. So I always turn to comfort food when the headache attack is in the morning.

remnant

Postby remnant » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:13 am

Its interesting that you use Vicks Vaporub as I thought its no longer in the market or used internationally. Tension headaches can also be cleared using inhalants which are a variation of the same product. When I used to drink, I usually developed tension headaches due to hangovers in the morning. So one of the causes is lack of adequate sleep of jaw/dental problems. A cold bathe followed by relaxation in a favourite activity like listening to gospel music is quite healing accompanied with a cup of warm milk. Avoiding smoking and drinking as well as developing coping mechanisms against stress are necessary to avoid tension headaches.

joshposh

Postby joshposh » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:26 pm

Besides all of the medication and natural remedies, I find that a good long hot shower will make me feel better. That gets the blood flowing through the whole body. Then a hot sensible meal with some hot tea to wash it down, and then a good uninterrupted sleep or nap. You body just needs to heal itself. Give the nutrients it needs to work and let it repair itself while you sleep.

Misty

Postby Misty » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:00 pm

joshposh wrote:Besides all of the medication and natural remedies, I find that a good long hot shower will make me feel better. That gets the blood flowing through the whole body. Then a hot sensible meal with some hot tea to wash it down, and then a good uninterrupted sleep or nap. You body just needs to heal itself. Give the nutrients it needs to work and let it repair itself while you sleep.

I really love that idea. That could be used to help a variety of problems. Especially muscle soreness after a good workout. There's nothing like a hot shower, food, and a nap to really make you feel better. Plus, tea! Who could forget the amazingness of tea!

Return to “Head, Nose & Face Pain Discussion”