Is your bed a factor in your back pain?

Forum to discuss lower/upper back pain, hip pain, preventive health advice on back pain & hip pain related issues from the forum community
rz3300

Re: Is your bed a factor in your back pain?

Postby rz3300 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:55 pm

This is really just one of those issues that I do not have enough evidence on, and I never will because it is impossible to try every mattress out there and keep track of all that. I have pretty much had back pain my whole life, regardless of what bed it was, so I do know that it is not THE factor for me, but I do think that it plays a role in making it more of less bearable. I think that I am somewhere in the middle of hard and soft, so maybe the fluffy things will not work the best, so I would just need some trial and error.

Vinaya

Postby Vinaya » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:38 am

Your bed can be one of the factors of your back pain. If must not sleep on the bed that is too soft, or too hard.
Another factor that affects back pain is sleeping position, if you sleep with face down, your back might not get required rest and may result in back pain. You should always watch the ceiling as you sleep.
The third factor that affects your back pain is sitting position. As you sit your back should always be straightened.

My3Sons_NJ

Postby My3Sons_NJ » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:27 am

A bed that does not provide proper support can definitely produce minor or moderate back pain over time but for more significant or debilitating back pain, a bed is only a minor factor as the problem is likely due to a disc injury, spinal stenosis or some other form of nerve damage. A bed with proper support will prevent the minor pain so, yes, it can be a factor for back pain but not THE factor in severe back pain.

My3Sons_NJ

Postby My3Sons_NJ » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:30 am

To further elaborate on my previous post, I had a bed with very poor support in college and I had nagging back pain every day until I got a piece of plywood and slipped it between the frame and the mattress. It provided relief almost immediately so, at least in my case, it did make a difference.

morgoodie

Postby morgoodie » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:20 am

I do think that my bed is part of the cause of my back pain. Unfortunately, I do not have enough money right now to buy a new one. My mattress is over 20 years old so I know it is time for a new one. I cannot wait until I can get another one in the not so distant future. I sleep much better on a hotel's mattress than on mine. Lol. I would have to say that my mattress is the last thing I need to change. I wear good shoes when I work so that my feet are not making my back pain worse and I try to sit in a good chair that does not strain my back as well. I would love to have a sleep number bed or other comfortable bed like that.

pwarbi

Postby pwarbi » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:04 pm

As far as I'm aware, I'd say that in the majority of cases a person's bed has a lot to do with their aches and pains, and especially when it comes to back pain. You're mattress plays an important part as it supports your back when you're asleep, and in most cases that for at least eight hour's a night so it's going to play a big part in affecting how you wake up.

Unfortunately while you can buy orthopedic beds to help with back pain, a lot of them can be expensive and most people will begrudge spending that much money on them. If you're back pain only lasts for a little while then you can probably get away with not buying a new bed or mattress but i it starts to affect your every day life, I'd seriously start to save up and invest in one.

lindseynicole010

Postby lindseynicole010 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:06 am

thanks for that.

Veruska

Postby Veruska » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:31 am

It is a factor but good posture also a reason for having a back pain, so having correct posture while standing, walking and sitting is a good solution to ease the pain.

Return to “Back & Hip Pain Discussion”