What are the Causes of Dizziness?

Forum Posts on health advice, tips and discussions related to health management
Tripoli

What are the Causes of Dizziness?

Postby Tripoli » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:55 pm

Do not ignore if you are feeling dizzy

Feeling dizzy is a common problem faced by most of us. It is just like a feeling that one might experience after getting off a merry-go-round. Medically speaking, this feeling of spinning or whirling of self or that of the things around is described as vertigo.

Most of the times, the balancing organs of the inner ears are held responsible to cause a vertigo. But at times it can also be an alarming signal for other life threatening health issues like a stroke or a brain tumor. So, whenever one is experiencing such an issue, proper care needs to be taken at an immediate basis.

There are a wide variety of causes that might contribute one to complain about feeling dizzy. At times it can also be hard for the medical practitioners to diagnose the reason of dizziness in an affected individual. However, below is given few of the most common and also dangerous health issues that cause dizziness in an individual:

An extremely high blood pressure that can cause a damage to the human brain
A low blood pressure that can cause multiple heart diseases, or blood disorders, etc.
A low blood sugar
A brain stroke, or a brain tumor, or a frequent headache
Any sort of internal bleeding or hemorrhage
Any ailment that impedes the supply of blood to the brain, or oxygen to the blood
Dementia
Use of certain medications like tranquilizers, sedatives, pain relievers, anti depressants, etc.

Apart from these above said well celebrated causes, one can even complain of feeling dizzy due to aging, or a prolonged bed rest, or due to certain psychological disorders like that of anxiety, depression, or panic disorder.

The symptoms of dizziness include feeling nauseated, fainting, easily tired, and many more. The affected individuals might feel a sensation of whirling or spinning of either themselves or that of their surrounding environment. Feeling chest pains and palpitation are also much common problems that are believed to be the symptoms of dizziness.

Whenever one is facing any of these issues, he or she must rush to take proper medical care. It is so because a lot of life threatening disease may develop only with a simple complain of feeling dizzy.

However, along with a proper medicinal treatment, the patient also needs to ensure few basic points. These primarily include drinking of water and taking plenty of rest. Standing up and sitting down is also required to be performed in a slow manner as this helps in treating dizziness associated with position changes.

Chronically dizzy persons should also be kept in a room that will be safe for them. Equipping them with canes or banisters or a walker, and also fitting the rooms with rugs and carpeting is a must. These steps will help them greatly to negate any injury due to falling.

It is only with a proper medicinal help and other supportive measures that this ailment can be cured of.

negan

Re: What are the Causes of Dizziness?

Postby negan » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:38 pm

Thank you for the contribution. Myself is very prone to dizziness, I got a recurring feeling of spinning or whirling from time to time while I'm sleeping of after riding a road with too many U -turns or semi curves. I'm not chronically dizzy though, and this happened to me very few times outside of road vertigo.

Mrs. Rios

Postby Mrs. Rios » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:30 pm

I have actually been diagnosed with vertigo and sometimes I can go months without an episode, maybe I'm subconsciously taking care in watching the speed at which I do things, and sometimes I have weeks straight where it's an episode at least once a day.

I don't ever know what it is that causes the vertigo to act up but I do know that once it starts it's very apparent to me and I slow down what I'm doing. I've almost fallen over quite a few times, some down the stairs, so it's something that I've learned how to deal with now.

corzhens

Postby corzhens » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:55 pm

I agree to the first line of this thread - do not ignore if you are dizzy. My husband had severe gastritis 3 weeks ago. The pain never left him for several days. He's used to it because gastritis has been with him for so many years. But this time, the abdominal pains was coupled with dizziness. And it came up that he has high blood pressure. Upon consultation, the doctor prescribed him a maintenance medication for high blood pressure, saying he should take it regularly so he could be saved from a probable stroke. It is clear that my husband got dizzy because his blood pressure shot up.

That was also the symptom that made the discovery of my high blood pressure. I was in a mall when I got so dizzy that I couldn't stand. When I was brought to a doctor, my blood pressure was 190/90. That was more than 10 years ago.

ladydaydream

Postby ladydaydream » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:29 pm

Thank you for posting this information on dizziness and its causes. It is a very concerning symptom and really can't be ignored; when my mother was experiencing spells of dizziness, it turned out that she was having blood pressure problems. If she hadn't caught onto it quickly, things could've gone badly. This list of causes for dizziness is very useful and advise anyone having dizzy spells to take a look at it and perhaps ask their doctor about a few of the causes; better safe than sorry.

cecejailer

Postby cecejailer » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:36 am

Causes for dizziness can include:
1. You can be hungry, even if you don't feel that hunger pain in your stomach.
2. Dehydration. When you forget to drink water, your body realizes it's getting less than it is used to, so dizziness might be a way to tell you it's time for a drink.
3. Low blood sugar. Eat some chocolate! Or not, because high blood sugar can also cause dizziness. Try to not eat sugar if you have an empty stomach.
4. Another reason. If you tried all the above and it still doesn't get better, call emergency (if it's necessary) or make an appointment with your doctor.

filmjunkie08

Postby filmjunkie08 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:48 am

I have problems with dizziness and assumed my allergies were causing fluid build up in my inner ear.

rz3300

Postby rz3300 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:26 am

Well certainly there are several causes and then a combination of factors and list could go on, but when I experience dizziness it is almost always associated with blood flow, or lack thereof. I have a history of high blood pressure and I this is the main way that it manifests itself, but I know it is in there doing more damage. If this is case then you may take a different route with treatment, so as always, consult your physician and do your research.

Vinaya

Postby Vinaya » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:53 am

We should never ignore small symptoms, these may actually be signs of big problem. In a surface glance, dizziness may be a result of weakness, fatigue or nausea. However, it may also indicate bigger complications such as heart diseases. If you have high blood pressure or low blood pressure, you can get dizzy. If you are suffering from mental conditions such as migraine or even tumor, you may get dizziness.

Return to “Health Guide”