Symptoms of Hypothyroidism and its effects

Forum Posts on health advice, tips and discussions related to health management
Lizzy

Symptoms of Hypothyroidism and its effects

Postby Lizzy » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:24 am

The symptoms of hypothyroidism may not be found right away as it can grow slowly. You may also experience some symptoms before your thyroid hormone levels drop below normal. Here is a list of symptoms that may be caused by low thyroid:

Hair thinning
Painful muscles and joints
Melancholy
Recollection difficulties
Thick skin, dry
Constipation
Heavy, atypical or lengthy menstrual periods
Low body temperature (below 97.8°F first thing in the morning)
Puffy eyes and face
Slow heartbeat
Reduced libido
Inferior memory
Tiredness
Chronic sinus diseases
Headaches
Perspiration abnormalities
Migraines
Heat and cold intolerance
Irritability
Fluid retention
Anxiety
Panic attacks
Regular colds and sore throats
Lightheadedness
Ringing in the ears
Decreased concentration
Slow wound healing
Easy bruising
Nails that are unhealthy
Acid Indigestion
Cold hands or feet
Improper weight gain
Hypoglycemia
Falling asleep during the day
Itching
High cholesterol
Loss of exterior part of eyebrows

It is possible that there's an underlying cause that's the reason for your hypothyroidism. Some possible causes are heavy metal poisoning (particularly mercury), adrenal fatigue, food allergies and celliac disease.

There are some foods that can cause low thyroid levels. They are called goitrogenic foods and include Brussels sprouts, rutabaga, turnips, cabbage, radishes, broccoli, cauliflower, millet, kale, and soy. Goitrogens are naturally occurring thyroid inhibiting substances found in these foods. The thyroid inhibiting effect of these foods are thought to be mostly inactivated by cooking. So if you eat these foods, make sure you cook them. Also See that you don't eat any of these foods in large quantity even when cooked and don’t eat them at all raw.

ziskasun

Re: Symptoms of Hypothyroidism and its effects

Postby ziskasun » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:06 pm

This is a pretty comprehensive list, thanks. I had many of those symptoms for years before me or my doctor even realized I had a thyroid problem. It is interesting to note that all of the women in our family have it. I am now on meds for hypothyroidism and have always wondered it there might be some dietary and lifestyle changes I could make that would help.

Moroccanbeauty2266

Postby Moroccanbeauty2266 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:57 am

I also have hypothyroidism and have to take hormone pills for it.
It worries me too and I do not really want to take pills my whole life.
There are ways to improve the thyroid levels but I am still looking into them.

filmjunkie08

Postby filmjunkie08 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:04 pm

I have hypothroidism, but at first my doctor would not give my Synthroid as my labwork should a low normal reading. Yet, I had most of the major symptoms. It took a nurse practitioner to finally believe me. She said that some people have subclinical hypthyroidism. Meaning that labwork can show readings in the normal range, yet the patient show the signs and symptoms. I have felt SO much better since she placed me on medication. And my bloodwork continues to show my thyroid function within normal limits.

Return to “Health Guide”