Depression and Pain

Forum Posts on health advice, tips and discussions related to health management
Misty

Depression and Pain

Postby Misty » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:35 am

Does anyone else get really depressed because of their pain? I struggle with this all the time and am at a loss. It is just really unfair. I hate being sick. I want to be better so badly, but even if I was better I'm not sure it'd be a good thing, because it would be new and scary. Just reaching out, seeing if anyone else feels the same way. Thanks for listening!

corzhens

Re: Depression and Pain

Postby corzhens » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:36 am

Depression aggravates the pain. When my husband's gastritis would attack without warning, he would be burping at first before feeling the abdominal pain that would sometimes deter him in physical activities. There are times that he just stays in bed to relax his body but his mind suffers depression. The doctor said that depression is more of a killer than the stomach pains because depression is difficult to treat - it is an ailment of the mind so the best cure is the person himself. Now my husband would be fighting depression by getting himself busy in the garden or in the computer.

Vinaya

Postby Vinaya » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:27 am

In my experience, physical pain can lead to mental pain and vice versa. Therefore, there is a connection between pain and depression. Physical pain can get you anxiety, depression or stress. Sometime back, my wife went through gallbladder removal surgery. The operated wounds are taking time to heal. Wife experience too much pain in the operated area, and she is frustrated about her condition. Currently, she is going through medication for anxiety and depression.

justastarwarsnerd

Postby justastarwarsnerd » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:19 pm

I do believe there is a connection between mental and physical pain. When you're in pain, your thoughts tend to be less clear than they normally would. People who have experienced a physical trauma often lose consciousness, mostly because the physical pain impacts them so greatly.

When you suffer with chronic pain, it is fairly easy to fall into depression, for several reasons. For one, those in pain tend to stay home more, causing a lack of human interaction, which in turn can cause depression. Just the stress of being in pain can cause depression.

There's really no question, the two can be directly or indirectly correlated.

Misty

Postby Misty » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:58 pm

Thanks for your responses. They're very helpful. It's nice to see people actually see the connection. What I hate is when people tell me my depression is causing my pain. I personally believe they can coexist and each need to be treated individually. It's like asking what came first the chicken or the egg?

Also, Vinaya, I'm sorry to hear about your wife. Has she tried avoiding fatty foods? I also commented on another post of yours about Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction its super rare and highly unlikely, but if she's still having pain then it might be worth looking into.

aliceforfrndz

Postby aliceforfrndz » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:50 am

Primary thing is to engage in other activities
Depression is so addictive
Just avoid obsessive thinking of problems
Don't just sit there and think I am sad,
Go do something to make yourself happy,
Do a solo trip to get some new ideas
Do a trip with your friends to enjoy the time.
Don't always try to find something depressive,
Accept life have Ups and Downs,
Appreciate what you have,
Fall in love,
There will be sure a day , when you'll say life is beautiful ; trust me on that

domin472

Postby domin472 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:37 pm

Don't just sit there and think I am sad,
    Go do something to make yourself happy,
    Do a solo trip to get some new ideas
    Do a trip with your friends to enjoy the time.
    Don't always try to find something depressive,
    Accept life have Ups and Downs,
    Appreciate what you have,
    Fall in love,

That is so true really

Return to “Health Guide”