Reflux Missery

Forum to Explore topics related to stomach/abdominal pains. Post questions related on this board and get your questions answered.
ziskasun

Reflux Missery

Postby ziskasun » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:18 pm

I really need suggestions for help with severe reflux. I have had it for 30 + years. My doctor is getting resistant to keep my on Prilosec much longer because she says it is harmful to be on high doses of that long term. I usually need 40mg per day to control symptoms. In the past, I was also on Pepcid and Tagamet and they both stopped working after a while. I really prefer natural remedies but have not found one that works for me and I'm kind of out of ideas. Any suggestions?

HearMeRoar

Re: Reflux Missery

Postby HearMeRoar » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:49 pm

Gastric reflux is really a struggle, especially if it is long term. I kind of agree with your doctor though. On one hand, long term use of medication could lead to it being less effective after a while, but on the other, you also need it to control your symptoms. I think the only way you can control reflux naturally is to be more selective with the food you are eating. I think that is the only way you can control them without help from outside medication. Avoiding spicy food, anything that you think would make your symptoms worse, really, and sticking to it, because you really can't use meds like you said.

Aced

Postby Aced » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:39 pm

Eat fruit, reflux is acid indigestion, fruit digests easily, no indigestion = no acid indigestion

corzhens

Postby corzhens » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:25 am

Some 2 years ago, my husband had an acute tonsillitis. When he consulted an ENT, the doctor said that the inflammation of his tonsils is due to acid reflux. He was prescribed Omeprazole as inhibitor so the acid reflux would be controlled. He takes the tablet 30 minutes before breakfast. However, when he is over stressed, the reflux would manifest by giving him a sore throat when he wakes up in the morning.

What my husband does now is to eat some raisins during bedtime - an hour or so before the actual sleeping. The raisins somehow controls the stomach from producing acid. And in the morning, right upon waking up, he takes a teaspoon of honey. He has been doing that for more than a year already and it's doing him good, I guess.

bonzer

Postby bonzer » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:48 pm

Acid reflux is the result of a poor lifestyle. Prepare a daily schedule and stick to it. Have breakfast within an hour of waking up. Never keep your stomach empty. Drink plenty of water. Avoid sugar if possible or reduce at the least. Stop Alcohol, Tea, and Coffee till you feel better. Sleep for 8 hours a day. Exercise for half hour every day. Drink barley water and continue with your medication. Avoid spicy foods. Sleep early and sleep tight. Cheers!

Return to “Stomach & Abdominal Pain Discussion”