Antibiotics for Stye

Forum for eye pains and other eye problems or health conditions related to Vision and Eye Disorders.
joshposh

Antibiotics for Stye

Postby joshposh » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:51 pm

I'm currently suffering from stye. It's a condition where there is inflamed swelling on the edge of an eyelid, caused by bacterial infection of the gland at the base of an eyelash. It's been going on for 2 days now, and I'm really irritated by having it. I do feel like it is hindering my lifestyle.

I'm currently using the good old remedy of heat compress over the infected eye several times a day to help dispel the puss from under the eye lids. I think I got most of it out already, but I still see one bump left. I'll continue to use the heat compress in the mean time.

My question to you that have had it before, did you use any antibiotics for this type of infection. The internet is loaded with accounts, and some do point to the penicillin line of antibiotics.

pwarbi

Re: Antibiotics for Stye

Postby pwarbi » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:02 pm

I used to work in a dusty environment and I suffered from quite a few of these over the years. What I was told caused it was the dust in the environment. It got into the base of the eyelash and became infected.

I got given antibiotic eye drops a couple of times that I had to put in the eye itself three times a day, and that usually did the trick. All in all they used to last around a week for me but I'm assuming that could differ depending on how bad the infection is.

joshposh

Postby joshposh » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:15 pm

Thanks for the tip. The more I read up online, my imagination gets the best of me. I'll continue to do the hot compress and look around for anti bacterial eye drops. I took a look under my eyelids and I see for the most part the have all popped on its own. The excess skin from the sacs are coming out. Very unpleasant. Tomorrow I'll get some Ibuprofen. That should help with the pain and swelling. I have one eye shut while I'm replying.

joshposh

Postby joshposh » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:16 pm

I'm happy to report that my stye is almost gone. What that means is that the swelling is about 90% gone and the puss sacs and pain is gone.

Health professionals might disagree with what I did by it worked. Besides using the hot compress every day, several times a day, I did mix a little rubbing alcohol in the hot water. Just a pinch to kill any bacteria when the compress was placed on the eye. Just don't let the water and alcohol mixture get in the eye. I really didn't want to go out hunting for eye drops with one eye open. So because the sacs had burst on its own, I was taking amoxicillin ever 6 to 8 hours to stop any further infection because it is open wounds that I can't see.

So far so good and I'm almost 100%.

Goodman

Postby Goodman » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:22 am

еrythrоmyсin is аn еxсеllеnt сhоiсе fоr thе grаm pоsitivе оrgаnisms usuаlly rеspоnsiblе аnd is аvаilаblе аs аn оintmеnt. еyеdrоps will nоt hеlp аnd аrе nоt mеаnt fоr usе оn thе skin. Vigаmоx is nоt аvаilаblе аs аn оintmеnt. If yоu аrе аllеrgiс tо thе аntibiоtiс suсh аs еrythrоmyсin оr сulturе shоws thаt yоu nееd а flurоquinоlоnе, сilоxin (сiprо) is аvаilаblе аs аn оintmеnt. Thеsе аrе prеsсriptiоn drugs аnd yоu mаy wish tо usе Nеоspоrin, whiсh is аvаilаblе оvеr thе соuntеr. Dо nоt usе thе gеnеriс triplе аntibiоtiсs, аs thеy mаy burn оr wоrsе if thеy gеt intо thе еyе, whеrеаs Nеоspоrin wоn't.

pwarbi

Postby pwarbi » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:29 am

joshposh wrote:I'm happy to report that my stye is almost gone. What that means is that the swelling is about 90% gone and the puss sacs and pain is gone.

Health professionals might disagree with what I did by it worked. Besides using the hot compress every day, several times a day, I did mix a little rubbing alcohol in the hot water. Just a pinch to kill any bacteria when the compress was placed on the eye. Just don't let the water and alcohol mixture get in the eye. I really didn't want to go out hunting for eye drops with one eye open. So because the sacs had burst on its own, I was taking amoxicillin ever 6 to 8 hours to stop any further infection because it is open wounds that I can't see.

So far so good and I'm almost 100%.

Good to hear that your almost back to 100% again and that the hot compress worked for you. When I mentioned the eye-drops before, I also didn't want to go searching round so when my stye had gone, what I did as nip to the chemist and bought some for the next time I got one if it ever happened again (and it did) so I was prepared. They aren't all that expensive and like most other medicines, the expiry date on them is a long time off, so even if you buy a bottle now and don't use them for a while, they'll still be in good enough condition to use as and when you may need them in the future.

Richardovellee

Antibiotics for Stye

Postby Richardovellee » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:36 am

Does anyone know of any Antibiotics that can treat infections in the prostate ?

Louis

Postby Louis » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:03 am

Richardovellee wrote:Does anyone know of any Antibiotics that can treat infections in the prostate ?

MEDICATION - STANDARD DOSAGE

Trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (Bactrim, Septra) - 1 DS tablet (160/800 mg) twice a day

Doxycycline (Vibramycin) - 100 mg twice a day

Ciprofloxacin (Cipro) - 500 mg twice a day

Norfloxacin (Noroxin) - 400 mg twice a day

Ofloxacin (Floxin) - 400 mg twice a day

You may find the complete information at www.aafp.org/afp/2000/0515/p3015.html

LarryassugLouchhig

Antibiotics for Stye

Postby LarryassugLouchhig » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:52 pm

Now, I know most URIs, sinus infections, etc. are viral and not due to bacteria. And the overuse of antibiotics is certainly a nasty problem.

BUT, I think there is a place in your SHTF kit for these items. Your girl gets a bad UTI or yeast infection. A scrape on your arm turns red and fills with pus. Etc.

Now, to be sure, this scenario is only for if the doodoo hits the blades. I dont plan on self-diagnosing via "what I read on the Internet". Well, at least until ObamanationCare goes into full effect.

Veruska

Postby Veruska » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:52 am

This is the healing process for styes.

Use a warm compress
Clean your eyelid with mild soap and water
Use a warm tea bag
Take over-the-counter painkillers
Avoid using makeup and wearing contact lenses
Use antibiotic ointments
Massage the area to promote drainage
Get medical treatment from your doctor