Advice for a strained shoulder

Issues related to Shoulder and Elbow pains
Bugsy

Advice for a strained shoulder

Postby Bugsy » Fri May 13, 2016 12:48 am

I have recently strained my shoulder really badly. Is there anything I can do, except going to a doctor or doing physical therapy? Any recommendations?

Chuck

Re: Advice for a strained shoulder

Postby Chuck » Mon May 16, 2016 11:17 pm

If you don't want to do either of those I would limit the mobility of it until it heals. Take plenty of vitamin D3, K2, C, and E. These will help heal the strain naturally. I would put your arm in a sling when you don't need to use it much to keep a lot of the pressure off the shoulder.

Sparks

Postby Sparks » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:06 pm

There are a variety of exercises you can do to help rehabilitate your shoulder without going to physical therapy. It really depends on what part of your shoulder you strained. But, for instance, there are a TON of rotator cuff exercises that you can do from the comfort of your own home that would speed up the recovery process. Other than that, it's pretty much a waiting game, as well as trying not to do anything that irritates it.

Toast

Postby Toast » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:45 am

I think as long as it's just strained, you can just relax it. Make sure you don't put any extra strain on it, and it should get better in a few days to a week or so. Avoid any extraneous physical activity that could further injure it, such as sports. So yea, just lay off of it, give it as much rest as it needs, if you need too you can take pain medication. If it gets bad or doesn't heal, I do suggest going to the doctor though. No one way around it at that point.

corzhens

Postby corzhens » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:33 am

My husband had a strained shoulder many times. He normally gets that by carrying heavy things particularly when there is a repair activity in the house. There is a chiropractor who is an expert on that problem. But we had learned the trick so now we don't consult the chiropractor anymore.

Here is how to relieve the strained shoulder. Make a fist and roll your hand clockwise like a level of a slot machine. Roll it 360 degrees for 3 times that should culminate with a hammer blow to your side. Imagine a boxer wringing his arms in preparation to hit his opponent, it is the same thing except that you hit the opponent who is standing beside you. So the ending is your arms outstretched and perpendicular to your body. Do that routine 5 times but not more than 10 times.

Aced

Postby Aced » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:34 pm

RICE

Rest
ice
Compression
Elevation

Doctor is always your best bet, getting it wrapped or keeping off it as much as possible is what they will probably tell you, but it could be something worse :( Better safe than sorry.

Return to “Shoulder & Elbow Pain Discussion”