Does pain raise blood pressure and heart rate?

Discussion on all chronic diseases & conditions like Diabetes, Blood pressure, Heart diseases, Liver functioning, Cancer etc
Mike

Does pain raise blood pressure and heart rate?

Postby Mike » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:31 am

Is it true that pain can be a real cause for increase in blood pressure and heart rate? or it the pain medication and treatment that the patient undergoes would creates this situation?

Maji

Re: Does pain raise blood pressure and heart rate?

Postby Maji » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:58 pm

Pain itself can increase blood pressure, even if you don't take any medication for it. Basically pain is a stress stimulus, that activates brain circuits responsible for instinctual survival (this is part of what we call the sympathetic system).
From an evolutionary stance, pain is intepreted by the brain as an alarm of imminent danger, which trigger the "panic responses" (fight or flight), so the brain responds by dending signals via the release of adrenaline to increase heart rate to help you "escape" whatever is causing you pain, and constrict the capilaries to avoid bleedouts, even if your pain is caused by a different thing entirely, like e.g. a hernia.

HearMeRoar

Postby HearMeRoar » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:54 am

Of course it does. Increased pain would also increase your blood pressure, which leads to an increased heart rate. That's why relaxants are a way to treat pain, and pain killers also make you feel relaxed. It's the constant feeling of pain, the constant struggle and worry you have about the pain being worse and worse also adds to your problems, as anxiety also fuels pain, heart rate, and blood pressure. So it's basically a lose-lose situation, and you need to get help from your doctor as soon as possible.

corzhens

Postby corzhens » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:34 pm

Pain makes the heart beat go faster and the blood pressure to rise up. Just last week, my husband was suffering from abdominal pains due to gastritis. When he took a reading of his blood pressure, he was surprised to see 170/90. It was an improbable reading for him because his blood pressure is always normal at 120/80 and he only gets 130/80 when he is very tired. The doctor said that it is natural for the blood pressure reading to be high when there is pain. That's why when there is acute pain like a person figuring in an accident, it can lead to a stroke. And if not a stroke, severe pain can cause heart attack. That's why doctors in the emergency room are quick with the pain reliever to ease the pain and prevent stroke or cardiac arrest.

Vinaya

Postby Vinaya » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:35 am

In my observation, pain actually raises blood pressure and heart rate. Recently,my wife has a gallbladder removal surgery. When ever she experiences a lot of pain in the area where surgery has been done, her heart rate increases and blood pressure rises. Sometimes her heart rate is 140 bits per minute and pressure is 160/110

Deeishere111

Postby Deeishere111 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:58 pm

It can be a combination of both. If you are in a lot of pain that can cause you to be upset and stress which will affect your mood and increase your pressure. There are also some medications that will affect your blood pressure. For instance, there is warning on Nyquil for people who have hypertension.

OliveSage

Postby OliveSage » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:09 pm

I believe it so-- that physical pain, illness, seasonal sickness and deep emotional stress, and grief cause blood pressure to rise. Logically, high blood pressure is an indication of something medically and emotionally happening in the body-- symptomatic of the "good, warring cells" trying to surround a virus of stress-toxic substance making the body sick and vulnerable and less resistant to free-radicals toxicating the body. Simply put, high blood pressure is a symptom, not a disease.

The past few days, my BP rose up to 167/112. I ultimately know why. I take deep breathing to relax me-- my brain needs oxygen when my mind is under stress. I rest. I drink lots of water (H2O), again, for oxygen and hydrating and strengthening my blood cells to do their job well. I avoid food cooked in free-radical-rich cooking oils. See, Oiling of America by Sally Fallon.

filmjunkie08

Postby filmjunkie08 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:50 pm

Most definately. My father had horrible hypertension along with heart failure. When he had kidney stones, his blood pressure shot up. So, yes it is a natural reaction to pain. The only reason to become concerned is if you are pregnant and it goes above 150/90 or if you have hypertension (and on medication) and the blood pressure is over 160/100. If that happens, please call your physician to see what he/she advises you to do.

negan

Postby negan » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:05 am

The Acute pain increases blood pressure by increasing sympathetic nervous system activity (It serves to accelerate the heart rate, constrict blood vessels, and raise blood pressure). Therefore, yes. But it does not apply for all pain scenarios. Hypertension, for example, is not only treated with analgesics but also antihypertensives.

mariobryant

Postby mariobryant » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:22 pm

When I am in pain my Dr. told me my blood pressure goes up so high that I need to take a pill for it. Hang in there and try to relax. I thought I was having panic attacks a lot and I think it is something related to mitral valve prolapse that makes my heart feel like that - I am a nervous wreck all the time.

Return to “Diseases & Conditions Discussion”