Is Shingles one of the worst pain?

Discussion on neuropathic issues
Louis

Is Shingles one of the worst pain?

Postby Louis » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:10 pm

Just curious to know whether shingles is one of the worst pain ever to have!? It looks like it is highly painful, because the infection stays in the nerves for long and looks like pain varies from person to person? Are there any better treatments available for this pain?

richj8am30

Re: Is Shingles one of the worst pain?

Postby richj8am30 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:10 am

A case of Shingles is not as painful as it is damaging to the nerves. The amount of damage and pain that the infection will cause, all depends on what area of your body that infection is located. Remember shingles spreads rather quickly and not just on the surface. If it is located on the scalp or near the brow for example, it can reach inwardly and cause either blindness and even nerval damage to the brain. I don't know what the full effect of any of those scenarios would feel like, but I can imagine it would increase from whatever level it starts to excruciating.

Aced

Postby Aced » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:25 am

Not really, there are a lot of medical pains that go up on the list. Kidney stones, cluster headaches, bad cases of staph...it can get pretty gnarly out there. I also haven't dealt with shingles so heyyy maybe my opinion isn't the best here :)

Kya Cooper

Postby Kya Cooper » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:27 am

I've had shingles and the pain I experienced was pretty intense. I had a circle of what felt like hundreds of pin head sized bumps on my right side, just below breast level on my ribs. I had no idea what it was at first, thought it was just a weird rash. Every day the pain got worse until it got so bad I made an emergency appointment with my PCP. As soon as I lifted my shirt to show him the rash his face winced as if he was in pain. He said "OOOH that's shingles. I've had it before. You must be in so much pain." I was! It hurt so bad that it made it hard to breathe because my inhalations hurt so much. He immediately prescribed me percocets and an antiviral. I was laid up for days before scabs finally formed over the rash and the pain lessened and lessened, and then eventually stopped. I can't speak for anyone else, but I know I never want to feel that pain again.

BarryHot

Is Shingles one of the worst pain

Postby BarryHot » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:17 pm

I have never been stung by a bee, but I dont think its one of the worst pains ever. I am highly sensitive to mosquitoes. A few years ago, a mosquito bit me on my eye. I woke up with a swollen eye. My eye was swollen shut for a week. It itched like crazy, but I wouldnt say it was the worst pain that I have ever experienced.

Return to “Neuropathic Pain Discussion”