Five Foods That Help Fight Insomnia

Post home remedies for diseases and other helpful treatments
Eminrac

Postby Eminrac » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:02 pm

Getting a decent amount of sleep each night is one of the most important things to maintain good health. I have struggled with insomnia all my life, and instead of taking pills, something that science has proven to be very dangerous, I have found several natural and healthy ways to combat sleeplessness that I'd thought I'd share with you guys on this forum.

Most people know that the main chemical in the human body that allows us to sleep is Melatonin. Increasing the melatonin in your body is the number one key to getting a better night's sleep. I thought I'd share a list of healthy foods that are known to naturally increase the melatonin in your body.

Oranges increase melatonin in your body by 47%. Very important to incorporate this food into your diet regularly to start getting a decent night's sleep. Two other type of fruits that help boost the melatonin levels in your body are bananas, pineapples, and tomatoes.

In the grain family, rice has been known to be very effective in melatonin production. It has a very high glycemic index, and has been used in sleep studies with proven substantial results. In particular, jasmine rice was found to be especially effective in boosting melatonin. Barley has a similar effect as well.

So to sum up, eat more bananas, tomatoes, pineapples, jasmine rice, and barley on a regular basis and you will see a definite improvement in your nightly sleep cycle in a short amount of time. Hope you found this post informational, and please comment if you have any other natural ways to help us all sleep better.

ziskasun

Re: Five Foods That Help Fight Insomnia

Postby ziskasun » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:17 pm

Thank you, this list is very helpful. The foods high in acid like tomatoes and oranges won't work for me due to my reflux, but I will focus more on bananas and jasmine rice, and perhaps some barley tea would be in order. I am looking forward to trying these ideas.

negan

Postby negan » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:42 pm

I recommend oatmeal. Just one bowl provides plenty of calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, silicon and potassium – all sleep-promoting nutrients. Go easy on sweeteners though, since too much sugar could sabotage your intention of sleeping.

Moroccanbeauty2266

Postby Moroccanbeauty2266 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:28 am

I always make warm milk with honey in order to help me get more sleepy.
Insomnia is also one of my problems but I try to drink lots of warm fluids before I go to bed.
I have not tried oatmeal but I will and see if it makes any difference.

Vinaya

Postby Vinaya » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:53 am

Most of the home remedies for insomnia were unknown to me. Currently, I sleep well, however, when I used to have sleeping trouble, I drank warm milk before going to bed. I don't know any scientific reason behind this, but this has always worked for me. Herbal tea, for instance ginger tea and lavender tea also promotes good sleep.

cecejailer

Postby cecejailer » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:38 am

Passion fruit is a good choice as well. I don't know what substance causes it, but it is known for causing sleepiness and reducing anxiety symptoms. I would suggest never resorting to prescription medications. Warm tea can also be helpful. But in my opinion, and personal experience, the best way to get to sleep is by leaving the TV on and concentrating on what it's being said. Close your eyes and just pay attention to the story, before you know it your brain will shut off.

morgoodie

Postby morgoodie » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:06 pm

I found this post very informative. I did not know that all these foods promoted better sleep. I sometimes find myself having problems going to sleep since my brain doesn't like to shut down when I want it to. I will toss and turn trying not to think about so many different things that are going on in my life right now but a lot of times it is not easy to do. I do not eat many oranges because of the acid but I do like bananas and pineapple once in a while. I have never had jasmine rice but would be willing to try it as I do like rice. Thank you for all this great information.

aliceforfrndz

Postby aliceforfrndz » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:57 am

Many foods contain naturally occurring substances that bring on sleep; here are some of the best choices to help you settle down for a quality rest.

Cheese and crackers
Walnuts
Pretzels
Rice
Cherry Juice

Michaelpak

Postby Michaelpak » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:33 pm

"BLOW A LOAD IN EVERY BATHROOM IN THE HOUSE DAY"

What do you fukkqueens think about that?

Return to “Home Remedies & Treatments”