What is frozen shoulder?

Issues related to Shoulder and Elbow pains
corzhens

What is frozen shoulder?

Postby corzhens » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:58 pm

My husband once in a while experiences the so called frozen shoulder. The suspicion is when he carries something heavy that maybe there is pulled muscle. But the chiropractor says that the frozen shoulder is mainly caused by a sprain which is a result when you carry objects much heavier than you can. After pressing and stretching on the affected limb, the chiropractor would ask the patient to roll the arms in clockwise and then counter-clockwise motion to unclog the sprain.

When my husband would have a frozen shoulder, he doesn't call the chiropractor anymore. He would just do the rolling motion once in a while and the frozen shoulder will vanish within the day.

Novelangel

Re: What is frozen shoulder?

Postby Novelangel » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:14 pm

I've had frozen shoulder three times in the past five years and while I'm not sure what the initial cause of my condition was, I do know that continuing to try to use the arm in that condition just made it worse. In my case, I wore a sling for a whole day and tried very hard not to use that arm at all. My mom had a similar problem recently, I gave her the sling suggestion and that worked for her as well. I'm not sure what exercise your husband does to relieve the problem but I tried several things and just managed to make it worse. I'm glad your husband has a way to get rid of the problem fast as it is very debilitating, not to mention painful.

I have read that frozen shoulder... the permanent one, not the temporary kind like your husband and I have experienced... is caused by a problem within the structure of the skull and neck bones. Apparently those upper neck bones can get twisted in such a way that the head cannot be tilted all the way back, and this somehow causes the shoulder or shoulders to completely lock up. Sufferers can have this problem for weeks, months or years, but I can't imagine being unable to use my arm for that long. A few days is torture enough as far as I'm concerned.

tilburkj

Re: What is frozen shoulder?

Postby tilburkj » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:09 am

Wow! I've had this happen to me, and I've instinctively done the same thing to remedy the situation! I never knew what on earth it was called, lol! Thanks for sharing your story and how you were able to take care of the issue yourself. ;) The human body is so remarkably self-serving, isn't it? :D

Return to “Shoulder & Elbow Pain Discussion”