Are Sleeping Pills Dangerous?

Forum for eye pains and other eye problems or health conditions related to Vision and Eye Disorders.
pwarbi

Re: Are Sleeping Pills Dangerous?

Postby pwarbi » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:49 pm

In theory, any medication that's taken in an unprescribed fashion can be dangerous so the simple answer to the OP is yes. Personally I think that there as been a lot made of just how dangerous sleeping tablets are, and while a lot of people can and do get addicted to them, at the same time they also help a lot of people aswell.

I'd be more inclined to take the advice of my doctor though, and if my symptoms that I present to them makes them think that in their professional opinion means I need to take sleeping pills, I'd take them but only as and when prescribed to do so without worrying too much about it.

rz3300

Postby rz3300 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:39 pm

Well I operate under the assumption that when you get yourself accumulated to a substance enough to become dependent on it, then there is a huge risk involved. Although that is not always the case, it has been for me in the past and I am lucky to be here so I just would rather avoid it all together. I would likely favor the easier aids to sleeping, like some tea and some other relaxation methods, just to avoid the risk. I am sure that other people can handle them a lot better than some people, though, so it is certainly a personal issue. Just be careful.

Moroccanbeauty2266

Postby Moroccanbeauty2266 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:11 am

A couple years ago I took some sleeping pills on a regular basis that had valerian in them.
Valerian helps to make you more sleepy. I guess one need to watch out to not take too many at once and to not take them over a long period of time.
It would be healthier to turn to natural remedies, such as chamomile tea, sleeping tea and warm milk with honey, etc.

Vinaya

Postby Vinaya » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:18 am

Since sleeping pills give sedative effects, they are dangerous to your body. Even if you take prescribed dose of sleeping pills, you can get addicted to sleeping pills. If you have sleeping disorder, it is better to try alternative therapy instead of clinical medication. You can try herbal teas, lavender is most beneficial, or warm milk before you go to bed. Yoga and meditation also promotes good sleep. Having a warm bath before you go to help may also help you, if you are battling with sleeping disorder.

OliveSage

Postby OliveSage » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:39 pm

I think I'm pillphobic. I'm drugphobic to the core. ;) Anyway, I must always ask myself if I really need to, "Will this prescription lengthen my life; or shorten my life when I intend to live longer to the fullest? Will this drug help my life better that I will not take another drug to combat its side effects? Will this drug not affect my liver, my kidneys, my mental capabilities if I take it even on a low doze -- daily or three times a day?

The answer to these challenging not-so-mind boggling questions is NO. And "YES" to the likelihood of shortening my life against my wish, and will. :geek: :geek:

Chamomile tea helps with inducing sweet sleep-- without sugar or honey. Read a boring book that's been sitting on your shelf that you haven't seen in a long time. Sleep will be very quick to come by then.

Good night...

cecejailer

Postby cecejailer » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:38 pm

I take clonazepam for my anxiety, and sometimes I take it when I need to sleep. I think everything that's enjoyable can become a dependence, so I have to watch myself very closely so I don't dose more than I need or take it more times than I should. I wouldn't recommend sleeping pills for anyone, it's better to just find natural remedies or dealing with your insomnia altogether.

aliceforfrndz

Postby aliceforfrndz » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:54 am

Sleeping pills are dangerous if its not natural. there are so many herbal and natural pills for sleeplessness or insomnia.

Medicines like "Maxsleep" and "VieBien Refreshing Sleep pills" helps to improve natural sleep cycle without any sideeffects.

jeesica

Postby jeesica » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:17 pm

sleeping pills can be dangerous for effects of sleep medications range from seizures to depressed breathing...................

Michaelpak

Are Sleeping Pills Dangerous

Postby Michaelpak » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:23 am

So if you have followed my "i messed up" thread. I believe i have detoxed myself off ALL meds. Except valium, which i think is a need for my spasisity. I have cut that down to 1/3 the prescribed amount. I think i am just dealing with the mental shit and PAIN.
Gonna deal with the pain to see if it subsides at all.
I havnt slept well in many days, just pass out from exhaustion and pain.
I know that you can become dependent on them. I DON"T intend to.
I do feel i need to have a somewhat normal sleep cycle though. I NEED to function. Need to be awake during the day and not the night....
Has anyone used otc sleeping pills to get sleep?
Did it work
Preferred brands?

Also a multivitamin perhaps?

other recomendations??

Return to “Eye Pain Discussion”