Should you add good fats if you're already eating a lot of bad fats? (not voluntarily)

Forum Posts on health advice, tips and discussions related to health management
Tigerlilly

Should you add good fats if you're already eating a lot of bad fats? (not voluntarily)

Postby Tigerlilly » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:21 pm

Hi,

I find myself in a bit of an odd situation where I am obligated to eat a lot of unhealthy food. I am volunteering in Ecuador for 3 months, and the house I'm staying at serves everyone at once. They serve a lot of the cheapest food, ie breakfast is just slices of white bread, animal crackers, and chocolate milk. They serve more substantial food for lunch and dinner, but everything is deep fried in oil. French fries, plantains, eggs, all of them are drenched in cheap oil. They also serve a lot of bread with cheese deep fried in oil. There is some fruit for desert though! (the one healthy thing haha). This has been very difficult for me because I usually eat a very clean diet. In the past two weeks I've eaten more oil, grease, salt, wonderbread etc. then I had in the 6 previous months combined. I thought I would just chose the more healthy options, but there really isn't one!

It would be very inconvenient to make them change up their routine, as they are serving everyone at once. Also, I have no way to store or keep food of my own. There is a store which I can go to which might have nuts or some other non-perishable items. My main question is: if I am eating a ton of the bad fats, is it a good idea to buy some bags of nuts I can bring to the school I volunteer at? Or, would adding even more fat to my diet (even if it's a more healthy variety) be a bad idea?

Also, I expect to gain weight over these three months, and there isn't much I can do about it, but what will there be long term effects from having this kind of diet for 3 months if I switch back when I return?

Thanks a lot! Even though this diet is pretty bad, it is probably good in some way. I was getting too obsessed with eating healthy, and now I'm learning to accept the food I'm given without putting up a fuss!

KamSweefs

Should you add good fats if youre already eating a lot of bad fats not voluntarily

Postby KamSweefs » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:25 am

Okay so I can appreciate and understand that snacking is bad mmmkkay.. but its tough when you have a large appetite and are used to eating a lot to suddenly just cut back to eating 6 small portioned meals a day.

WHUFC - I might give your idea a crack

Return to “Health Guide”