Medicinal Marajuana

Discussion on all chronic diseases & conditions like Diabetes, Blood pressure, Heart diseases, Liver functioning, Cancer etc
ziskasun

Medicinal Marajuana

Postby ziskasun » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:28 pm

I take care of a family member who suffers from a chronic and very debilitating and painful spinal condition. She has had 8 back surgeries. We live in a state where medical marijuana is legal with a prescription. I worry though that she is "over-consuming" as this is really the only thing that relieves her pain. She has tried other more conventional meds, but does not like the side effects. I am interested in finding out if there is a "safe" amount or dosage. They don't really tell you when it is prescribed.

Vinaya

Re: Medicinal Marajuana

Postby Vinaya » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:00 am

There is too much risk of using marijuana even for medical purpose. You never know when the patient becomes addicted to marijuana. Even if you get a recommended prescription for medical marijuana from a certified health worker, how do you make sure that you are just giving recommended dose. Did I miss something here? Are there marijuana capsule/tablet available for medicinal purpose?

Lynk

Postby Lynk » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:56 am

@Vinaya there is a purely synthetic version of cannibis called Marinol that doctors can prescribe for pain. My late husband had it when he was ill and it was a godsend for him.

I really do not think it is a very risky medication overall, especially when compared with most pharmaceutical pain killers that have a much higher rate of addiction, more side effects, and the risk of overdose. Since there has never been one case of a marijuana overdose death, and there are countless fatalities associated with even common over the counter medications like Tylenol, I don't know why you would think it is a risky medicine? I think it just has a bad stigma from years of propoganda.

Aced

Postby Aced » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:09 am

I have been using cannabis for a variety of ailments for about 8 years. Yes, there is a risk of dependency. And yet, it was absolutely far and away worth every penny. It is a fantastic tool, but prohibition removes the ability to understand that and creates lots of false testimonies based on bad experiences or lack of information

corzhens

Postby corzhens » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:10 am

There is a pending bill in the Philippines congress on the so called medical marijuana where the use would be like medicine that is prescribed by a doctor. However, it is getting a stiff opposition from drug makers and some quarters are focusing on the issue of addiction. I didn't know that marijuana is addictive although I know that an overdose can lead to hallucination. But being considered an herbal treatment for pains, I think marijuana should be legalized and it has a lesser risk than other pain-relieving drugs like morphine.

ziskasun

Postby ziskasun » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:45 pm

Thank you, kind people, for posting on a topic that can be a little controversial. I have mixed feelings about the whole issue. My family member who uses it has a legal prescription for it. This is due to legitimate pain from spinal disease and 8 back surgeries as well as nerve damage. She seems to benefit from using cannabis instead of traditional pain killers. In her case, before she began to use cannabis, she was prescribed serious pain killers (oxy and others) and got heavily addicted and completely dysfunctional from it. She had to go into a rehab program to get off of it. Addiction had been a problem for her all of her life. I believe that many many medications are addictive but it is also true that there are some people that need medication to manage chronic pain. If she is "addicted" to cannabis at least it does not make her dysfuntional. She dies not seem to "get high" off of it. Most of the time, when she uses it, she is relaxed and the pain is lessened. She usually does not like to smoke it but rather consumes it via edibles or teas and oils. I get concerned though because some days when it is really bad, she may use it 2-3 times a day. Other days she does not use it at all. I guess I don't really know what "normal" usage is for someone dealing with chronic pain.

filmjunkie08

Postby filmjunkie08 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:46 pm

He had no appetite, lost around 60 pounds, and event he morphine he was prescribed was not taking care of the pain. He asked a coworker who had a friend that could get my brother marijuana. The friend of a friend was even kind enough to roll the 4 cigarettes as my brother did not know how. After just a few puffs, the pain in my brothers legs had lessened more than the prescribed morphine ever had. My brother still has has most of those 4 cigarettes after a year and a half and I am glad he has them. I believe any cancer patient who can not be relieved of pain through traditional pain medication should be able to obtain marijuana. I never thought I would be saying this, but after knowing what my brother has been through I am for medicinal marijuana.

negan

Postby negan » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:48 pm

Her addiction is clearly due to rely on it to relieve chronic pain, but it could be also worse with painkillers, because those come from opiates. Rest assured that, It's humanly unlikely to suffer a marijuana overdose though.

cecejailer

Postby cecejailer » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:24 am

Well, at least it's marijuana. It could be opiate painkillers, which are way worse. I'd say just leave her be. I also use medical marijuana and honestly, it's the best thing that's ever happened to me. Of course every addiction is a bad addiction, but in her case, she's choosing the best from the worst. Weed is addicting but at least it's not bad for your body, the addiction risk is much less worrying than other painkiller drugs and it doesn't make you nonfunctional.

cecejailer

Postby cecejailer » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:26 am

negan wrote:Her addiction is clearly due to rely on it to relieve chronic pain, but it could be also worse with painkillers, because those come from opiates. Rest assured that, It's humanly unlikely to suffer a marijuana overdose though.

Not only unlikely, it's never happened. All deaths connected to marijuana are from asphyxiation (which is only possible in extreme cases) or people doing stupid things under the influence!

Return to “Diseases & Conditions Discussion”