Plantar Fasciitis Problems

Forum to discuss specific Issues related to Foot, Knee, Ankle & Heel Problems
ziskasun

Plantar Fasciitis Problems

Postby ziskasun » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:53 pm

I began having plantar fasciitis pain about five years ago. Along the way I have been given good advice to help minimize the symptoms:

1. Wear good shoes
2. Do simple stretching exercises before you walk around in the morning. Stretch your arch and also your calves.
3. Use a tennis ball to massage the bottom of your foot. Place the ball on the floor and roll your foot on top of it.
4. Do foot circles (ankle) before you get out of bed
5. Don't walk around barefoot :(
6. Try pressure socks. They make some especially for plantar fasciitis. ( I love these! )

Hope this helps!

corzhens

Re: Plantar Fasciitis Problems

Postby corzhens » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:04 pm

My husband was experiencing pain on his left heel. He said the pain was like a bruise so he thought it was muscle pain because it goes away after a day or 2. Early this year when we had a hectic activity at home, my husband again complained of his left heel. And since the pain was getting stronger, I was able to convince him to consult a doctor.

Plantar Fasciitis it is. And the doctor advised to use hot compress to relieve the pain. Coincidentally, we were going to a beach resort on the next day so on the first night in the resort, my husband used the bath tub to soak his foot for 30 minutes. Oh, my, he couldn't walk in the morning because the pain was terrible. He even said that he would appreciate if we could get a wheelchair. It was an unpleasant vacation for him because of that aching heel. When we came home, he did a research in the internet and look what he found - plantar fasciitis can be relieved by cold compress. And it did relieve the pain.

remnant

Postby remnant » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:07 am

The pain intensifies in the morning after a long night off your feet. The first steps on waking up are the most painful and can later exacerbate during the day after periods of rest. During the day, prolonged activity is a major culprit and may cause inflammation. Sensations of pain manifest after one is through with the physical activity. Plantar fasciitis is common with the obese especially individuals who have gained sudden weight. Others predisposed to this condition are long distance runners, restaurant servers and factory workers who are required to be on their feet for long periods of time. I posit that staying off your feet accompanied by ice compresses on the feet for 15-20 minutes 2 or 3 times per day as well as using arch supports on your shoes as well as stretch exercises really help.

Insomniac

Postby Insomniac » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:30 pm

I have read that walking barefoot is actually a good thing. It makes sense to me. Before the modern invention of shoes, people were obviously barefoot and back then apparently they never had any foot problems.
I guess if the pain is too intense it wouldn't be a good idea but I think it's best to ease into it. I am not sure if it's helping yet but it hasn't gotten significantly worse since I've been minimizing my time wearing shoes.

When I do wear shoes I have often been wearing the ones I wore at the raffle at the foot doctor because they are supposed to be really good as I have a high arch and it fits with my arch. Sometimes I think maybe I got plantar fasciitis from wearing the wrong size shoes because when I went to the old fashioned shoe store they told me about my high arch and put me in bigger shoes.

I am not sure about stretching. When I was stretching consistently it seemed like the pain was reduced but now that I'm stretching again I am still in pain. Maybe I need to get in the routine again.

One thing I am sure does not help: the custom orthotics. They make the pain worse so I took them off. I am trying to have as little support as possible on my feet as I want to strengthen them and not have the soles as a crutch.
I do try to pace myself though and not walk too much as that is when I am more likely to feel pain though it is difficult because walking is a part of life.

I can't seem to find the best method yet as I am still in pain on a too regular basis but the severity of the pain since I first went to the doctor to get diagnosed is A LOT smaller so I must be doing something right. I am thinking about buying some glucosamine as that sounds good since it's supposed to regenerate tissue.

Lynk

Postby Lynk » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:53 am

I had this quite bad a few years ago. I did a lot of stretching of my calves and feet both in the morning before I got out of bed, and then on the floor in the evenings before bed. This helped a little bit but unfortunately the biggest cure was a lot harder - I had to lose weight! I wasn't terribly overweight but I lost about 40 lbs and POOF, problem solved!

Aced

Postby Aced » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:10 am

Cut out the flip flops. Get toe shoes or slip ons if you really need something fast and easy, but flip flops should be reserved for the beach on occasion and pretty much nowhere else. It's a killer on the arch.

morgoodie

Postby morgoodie » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:51 pm

I have not tried pressure socks only the insoles made for Plantar Fasciitis and they were a life saver. In the mornings, I could not walk on the heel of my foot and also after I had worked all day on my feet. I would take my shoes off and hobble everywhere in the house. I was in so much pain that I could not even do the stretches that my doctor told me to do. If it were not for the insoles, I would still be in pain.

arthurjames

Postby arthurjames » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:22 am

My doctor at OrthoTexas, Frisco recommended me certain exercises to reduce symptoms and boost recovery.

Return to “Foot, Knee & Heel Pain Discussion”