Is it safe to put a warm towel on your neck after a long day of driving?

Neck Pain Help Discussion Forum. This section of the forum is for help, questions and support regarding Neck Pains.
Tonja Keeton

Is it safe to put a warm towel on your neck after a long day of driving?

Postby Tonja Keeton » Tue May 03, 2016 1:52 am

I'm doing this to relieve the pain in my neck. I'm not sure if this works but it sure does make it feel more comfortable again whenever I do this. I've been doing this almost every other day now though and I'm getting a bit worried if this is okay to do or is are there any side effects that may arise from doing it.

Chuck

Re: Is it safe to put a warm towel on your neck after a long day of driving?

Postby Chuck » Thu May 05, 2016 10:22 pm

What it sounds like is a stiff neck. It is usually recommended to ice it first, then apply heat. You can also take aspirins or something similar if you need to. If this is happening all the time you might want to see a chiropractor for an adjustment.

chrylent

Postby chrylent » Mon May 09, 2016 2:37 pm

Yes, This is safe if you have neck pains. If you have neck pains you can apply hot towel in your neck. But don't apply it regularly- Because you'll not have regular pains. And focus on your exercise levels or daily activities, chair sitting positions as well as sleeping positions.

Jonzz

Postby Jonzz » Fri May 13, 2016 12:10 am

Either a warm towel or painkillers. But I would definitely recommend a warm towel first. It will help you relax those strain muscles.

Moroccanbeauty2266

Postby Moroccanbeauty2266 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:17 am

Using a warm towel or heat pad is good for your neck pain.
However, if it gets worse I would take some pain killers and go see a chiropractor.
They might know how to help you in the long term.
If you have neck pain through driving a lot, I would also recommend you to take as amny breaks as possible.
Your body needs its rest too.

Aced

Postby Aced » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:37 am

You could also try simple massages, there are lots of guides and videos up on youtube on the subject. I have been massaging my neck all day! :)

joshposh

Postby joshposh » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:52 am

By using a warm towel around any area you are increasing the blood flow which therefore increases endorphin's and speeds up recovery time. If it was a serious injury to where there is inflammation or swelling, then ice would be a better option. Just listen to your body when applying any stimuli. It will let you know what works and what doesn't.

Vinaya

Postby Vinaya » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:43 pm

When ever I have neck pain, I massage my neck with hot oil. Hot oil massage relieves pain quickly. I have never used warm towel on my neck, however, I have seen people doing this. I can't say whether it is safe or not, but hot oil massage is definitely good for neck when you have pain. If there is a swelling, ice pack can also relieve the pain.

pwarbi

Postby pwarbi » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:52 pm

For any aches or pains you have, applying heat or cold can both work in relieving it and I've been told in the past that one is no better than the other. As for it being dangerous then I wouldn't have thought that would be an issue as you aren't going to do yourself any damage by doing it, so the question really should be is it going to have the desired affect of helping.

I've suffered from neck pain in the past due to driving long distances, and it's mainly because you're sat in one position for so long. instead of applying any pressure to relieve the ache, all I've done is take Ibuprofen and that seems to have worked as it relaxes the muscles so stops the aching from affecting you.

My3Sons_NJ

Postby My3Sons_NJ » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:05 pm

It is certainly safe to put a warm towel on your neck, especially in conjunction with an anti-inflammatory, after a long day of driving but the benefits will be relatively minimal if the discomfort/pain is not muscular in nature. If the pain is a result of a spinal issue, either disk or nerve damage, then a warm towel won't be of much use in providing any sort of relief after driving but a simple exam w/ an X-Ray can provide some insight into the root cause.

Return to “Neck Pain Discussion”