Computer related/work related neck pain

Neck Pain Help Discussion Forum. This section of the forum is for help, questions and support regarding Neck Pains.
ziskasun

Computer related/work related neck pain

Postby ziskasun » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:21 am

When I work at my office or for long periods at a desk I find that my neck gets pretty sore and tired fairly quickly. I usually start to get a headache as well. Does anyone else experience this and if so, any suggestions to make a more comfortable sitting/working position? I do have a spinal condition with curving and degeneration.

Aced

Re: Computer related/work related neck pain

Postby Aced » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:50 pm

There's a pretty good chance you are going kyphotic (developing kyphosis or thorassic kyphosis). While I can't say for sure and you should always speak with a doctor, it's very common and can be corrected with better posture and a better setup in general.

bonzer

Postby bonzer » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:43 pm

Computer professionals usually suffer from Spondylitis. It's a degenerative vertebral condition. Long hours before a computer could put undue stress on your neck muscles spinal cord.

You should take frequent breaks from engrossed computer activity and do certain simple exercises like bending your head forward/backward and sideways. Joints thrive on movement for their upkeep and become stiff and painful if we sit unmoved or in a constrained position for longish periods. Don't further neglect it. Meet your Orthopedist who can put you through proper physiotherapy exercises.

Toast

Postby Toast » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:18 am

I don't personally experience it, but I could see how you could. The key here is posture. You will often experience back/neck pain if you are in the some posture for a while, and it's not a good posture. Being as straight up as possible, and not leaning too far forward, can help a lot. Keeping your neck straight, and not leaning too far back are also pretty good things to do. I would say get a comfortable computer chair, and use it optimally. Make sure you're in a comfortable position that won't bite you if you stay like that for a few hours.

Lynk

Postby Lynk » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:04 am

I get this a lot when I work long hours at the computer. The very best thing for me is to make sure I take regular breaks to stand and stretch, at least twice an hour. They don't have to be long breaks but even getting up to do a small chore, talk to a coworker, or just get a glass of water and doing a few stretches for a minute helps a lot. At one point I had rigged my desk up so that I could alternate periods of working standing and then sitting and that was a huge help too!

Good luck and don't work so hard you are hurting yourself!

My3Sons_NJ

Postby My3Sons_NJ » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:27 am

I have a job where I sit at a computer for extended periods of time so I try and carve three blocks during the day, two 4-minute blocks and a 6-minute block which I will use to standup and briskly walk around the corridor to limber up my muscles and reduce the stress on my back and neck. When you are sitting at your desk, if you can lower your chair enough so that when you look straight ahead your eyes are on the same level as the upper-third of your monitor screen, it should keep your neck and spine in better alignment and reduce neck pain overall as well.

rz3300

Postby rz3300 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:22 pm

This was a serious issue for me at my last job. It is crazy to think about but sitting at one place in a certain position puts a big strain on your neck, and when that coupled with my lower back pain I was blessed to be able to leave that job. The irony is is that sometimes I miss the quiet workplace, but I get to be more active now at work and so my neck pain is not nearly as bad. If you do have a job like that, though, you just have to make sure and stretch out your neck or get up and move throughout the day.

Moroccanbeauty2266

Postby Moroccanbeauty2266 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:22 am

I used to work full-time and nightshift at a call center which meant sitting for long hours at one spot. We did not have many breaks except one 45 minutes for lunch and then 2 times 10 minutes before and after lunch. It really made the neck pain that I had before working at that job worse and actually cause me to get thyroid problems as well. One really needs to be careful to not put so much stress on your body. If you work long hours in the office you need to take as many breaks as possible. Maybe even do some exercises while you are at your desk.

Vinaya

Postby Vinaya » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:19 am

I am a freelance writer and internet marketer working from home.Usually, I work for 10 hours in a day on my computer. I experience neck pain and back bone pain if I continuously work for long hours. Thus I take a break of 30-40minutes and resume my work. When I take breaks, I so breathing exercise and simple stretching exercise.

morgoodie

Postby morgoodie » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:36 pm

I am on a computer most of the day nearly every day and I find that after so long, I will get neck pain and sometimes a headache along with it. I will stop for breaks throughout the day and rest my neck and eyes from the screen of the computer. After the pain goes away, I will start to work again until it is just time to stop for the day.

Return to “Neck Pain Discussion”