How Many Pillows Do You Use While Sleeping?

Neck Pain Help Discussion Forum. This section of the forum is for help, questions and support regarding Neck Pains.
Toast

How Many Pillows Do You Use While Sleeping?

Postby Toast » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:01 am

How many pillows do you use while you sleep? Do you experience any neck pain with the amount you do? What is your sleeping posture like?
I find that one pillow in any reasonable sleeping posture reduces my proneness to neck-pain. I also don't tend to get too much back pain either. I feel like if you use more than one pillow, you can end up in an uncomfortable sleeping position, which can greatly increase your risk of neck pain. What works for you though? Do you prefer to have a pillow under your feet, for an even more comfortable position?

corzhens

Re: How Many Pillows Do You Use While Sleeping?

Postby corzhens » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:12 pm

This is tricky about sleeping on pillows. My husband uses 2 pillows because he has acid reflux and the doctor had prescribed a special pillow for him. So aside from that special pillow, he also uses another on top of that.

For me, I use only 1 pillow but most of the time, I sleep on my hand. And when I do that, I would be snoring. My husband would wake me up by pulling away my hand from my cheek (I sleep on my side). And when I sleep without my hand under my cheek, I do not really snore. We still cannot find the answer to that - why I snore when I sleep on my hand.

HearMeRoar

Postby HearMeRoar » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:11 pm

One is enough. If you add more than one, probably to be more comfortable or to help you breathe easier, then you may be experiencing some trouble health-wise, and you would probably need to consult your doctor for further tests. It may involve a blockage in your airway, as well as a problem with your neck or spine in general. It would also put your spine in a less than neutral position, if you use more than one pillow, and it would lead to further back problems in the future.

pwarbi

Postby pwarbi » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:57 pm

I'm sorry but I can't agree with your point here I'm afraid and it sounds a bit like your scaremongering to be honest. A person will sleep with as many pillows as they feel comfortable with, and a lot is dependent on the pillows aswell.

I work away from home a lot and spend a few nights in different hotels and the amount of pillows I use varies a lot. At home I use one, but sometimes while I'm away I can use two or even three. That doesn't necessarily mean I've all of a sudden developed an health problem that I need to consult a doctor about though.

joshposh

Postby joshposh » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:33 pm

I sleep with 4 pillows. They are all hypoallergenic and I did pay more for that feature. I usually sleep on my left side with a total of 3 pillow. Two of the pillows are to support my neck and keep it leveled with my back and shoulders. Hence the reason for no neck pain. The third pillow is placed between my legs to keep my hips straight and not converging down on each other. That pillow will keep my hips from hurting in the morning. It keeps them inline.

Aced

Postby Aced » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:41 pm

Little to none. I like to sleep fairly flat, just with something under my neck or to rest my head on is great. I do not like pillows in general, used to use them but found some things out about my neck and stopped ;)

rz3300

Postby rz3300 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:21 pm

Well I am not really sure if I am in the majority or minority here, so I am glad that you asked. I have a ton of pillows on my bed, and I would add more if I could. I guess that there is a point where it can be too much, but right now I have nine and I can definitely see some sports for a few more. I am not sure why, but I just like having a big old pile and from all accounts it is working pretty well, so I cannot see myself making any changes anytime soon.

cecejailer

Postby cecejailer » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:34 pm

I can only use one low pillow to sleep, otherwise I wake up with my necking killing me. I have an issue with always needing to crack my neck to relax, so if I sleep with my head elevated it feels like my neck is dislocated.

Moroccanbeauty2266

Postby Moroccanbeauty2266 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:46 pm

I always use one big soft pillow when I go to sleep.
There have been times where I would use my sweater or a hard couch pillow in case I don't have a real soft pillow.
Every time I did that I woke up with terrible neck pain!
Some people are different....

Lisa Davis

Postby Lisa Davis » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:28 am

I always thought that more pillows was better but it is not. Now, I'm down to one thin one very thin pillow or none at all. I have drastically improved the pain in my neck because of it. I feel a ton better, really!

Return to “Neck Pain Discussion”